The good news is that they are still around in some incarnation. Dwindling, but still here. Some of the books that were published by Mir in the 1970s and 1980s are still available, but fewer and fewer, since they are not reprinted. The bad news is that since they are not updated or revised, academically at least they are no longer as worthwhile as they once used to be. Of course, that could be said about many things....
The PPH has its own publications too, and very important ones- the books co-published with the Indian Council for Historical Research, for instance. And one can see the bookstore evolve with the times as well- we have a representative of the PPH on the JNU campus- there are the shelves replete with the customary Marx and Lenin tomes, but also more recent material, more representative of today's struggles and today's realities. And quite a lot of the mainstream academic literature.
Scholars is happy to list a selection of their titles. And we'll ship them anywhere in India at Rs 23 per book. Write in to us to tell us which you want. Most should be available quite easily.
- Fundamentals of Quantum Mechanics by V A Fock, Rs 50.
- Ordinary Differential Equations by M Krasmov, Rs 20.
- Physics and Geometry of Disorder by A L Efros, Rs 25.
- Che: A memoir, by F Castro, Rs 100.
- The Swadeshi movement in Bengal 1902-08 by Sumit Sarkar, Rs 125.
- Indian Philosophy by Debiprosad Chattopadhyaya, Rs 100.
- Science, Society, and Peace, by D D Kosambi, Rs 50.
- Indian Society: Historical Probings, by R S Sharma and V Jha, Rs 200.
- Ambedkar, a critical study, by W N Kuber, Rs 150.
- Exasperating Essays, by D D Kosambi, Rs 40.
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, Rs 140.
- Buddhism, the Marxist approach, by Rahul Sankrityayan, Debiprosad Chattopadhyaya, Y. Balaramamoorty, Ram Bilas Sharma and Mulk Raj Anand, Rs 35.