Founded by Mahatma Gandhi, Navajivan Trust is a publishing house of great repute having brought out more than 800 titles in English, Gujarati, Hindi and other languages.
The Navajivan Institution was Gandhiji's sole heir- in his will written in 1940, he says " ANY WILLS that I may have made before this day stand cancelled and this be deemed as my last Will.
I do not believe that I have any property. Nevertheless, anything which by social convention or in law is considered mine: anything movable or immovable; books, articles etc. that I have written and may write hereafter, whether printed or not printed and all their copyright; I endow as my heirs the Navajivan Institution, whom I hereby declare as my heirs..."
After independence the main work of the Trust has been to spread the thoughts of Gandhiji through publication of books, the writings of Gandhiji, memoirs of his co-workers, diaries and publications depicting various facets of Gandhiji’s personality have been brought out. These publications are mainly in Gujarati, Hindi and English and are of great value to scholars across the world.
Here are some titles available from the Navajivan Trust.
- ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS, M. K. Gandhi Translated from Gujarati by Valji Govindji Desai
- ASHRAM OBSERVANCE IN ACTION, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- GANDHI FACES THE STORM, Gene Sharp
- GANDHI WIELDS THE WEPON OF MORAL POWER, Gene Sharp with a Foreword by Albert Einstein
- HIND SWARAJ OR INDIAN HOME RULE, M. K. Gandhi
- INDIA OF MY DREAMS, M. K. Gandhi
- INDUSTRIAL AND AGRARIAN LIFE AND RELATIONS, M. K. Gandhi
- MY RELIGION, M. K. Gandhi
- SATYAGRAHA IN SOUTH AFRICA, M. K. Gandhi
- SELECTIONS FROM GANDHI, Nirmal Kumar Bose
- SELF-RESTRAINT v. SELF-INDULGENCE, M. K. Gandhi
- THE ESSENCE OF HINDUISM, M. K. Gandhi
- THE GOSPEL OF SELFLESS ACTION OR THE GITA ACCORDING TO GANDHI, Mahadev Desai
- THE MIND OF MAHATMA GANDHI, R. K. Prabhu & U. R. Rao,
with forword by Acharya Vinoba Bhave & Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- THE WAY TO COMMUNAL HARMONY, M. K. Gandhi, Foreword by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Introduction by Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- TOWARDS NEW EDUCATION, M. K. Gandhi
- VILLAGE SWARAJ, M. K. Gandhi
- GANDHI [A biography for children and beginners], Ravindra Varma
Good books to remember today... or any day.